++Now with Slideshows!++

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

It's that sort of...

     I was sitting in a coffee shop Sunday morning flipping through an art and design magazine. This is the sort of neighborhood that has coffee shops, and they are open on Sunday mornings. The coffee shop I went to is the sort of coffee shop that provides you with high-brow magazines. The magazine I picked was mostly about objects. Cars, daily planners, cellphones, furniture, anything that is ever used, even if it is only to decorate, was discussed in this periodical. There was a paragraph about the milk ajuma hand carts. It compared phones by Prada and Giorgio Armani. The magazine seemed to focus on the ideal of, "Form follows function" and added the clause, "and an important function is to look pretty". It was simply entitled Design. It is that sort of magazine.
     There was a particular shop that the magazine discussed. The photo spread showed a shop full of merchandise that looked a bit more low-brow. The items were of a modern pop-art theme. Toys, posters, and random odds and ends were the norm. The photos reminded me of "Juxtapoz" . The main item that I remembered from the write-up was a trophy mounted polar bear head that was wearing a pirate hat. It was that sort of shop. I remembered it specifically because it did not seem to fit the clean cut image of the magazine. It was that sort of photo spread.
     Yesterday, I was wandering around the less clean, more graffitied part of my new neighborhood. I was looking for an old furniture store that I had noticed a few nights before. I was heading in a general southwesterly direction when I saw a polar bear's head mounted on a wall inside of a shop. I stopped to gape for a moment because I began to notice other items from the magazine spread. It is that sort of neighborhood.

No comments: