++Now with Slideshows!++

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Descending Life Line (three)






     Public transportation is very, cheap, easy, and convenient in Seoul. Sometimes there are subway stops just half a block from each other, and buses run everywhere. You can buy rechargeable cards that will scan on both the buses and the subways through your purse or wallet. A trip from Suwon to Seoul by bus costs a mere 1,700 won (about $2 in US money).
     Unfortunately this means that the public transportation is also extremely popular. I have have heard stories of people missing subway stops, because the train was too crowded to exit. If I leave Seoul coming back down to Suwon at the wrong time of the night I sometimes have to stand in the aisle of the bus, and a few times I've actually stood on the stairs at the door of the bus, because I couldn't get any further in.
     I know Ken Kesey often said, "you're either on the bus, or off the bus." Sometimes to be on the bus you just need to be able to get a good finger hold, swipe your card, and pray for a quick ride.

No comments: