++Now with Slideshows!++

Friday, June 08, 2007

Working Title

     Jungwon and I were stepping into an elevator in Gangnam the other day. The elevator was already occupied by a mommie and her little one gurgling in a stroller. The mommie took a quick look at me, then started talking excitedly to the baby. Jungwon giggled, but most of the words went over my head. I listened intently but she was speaking too rapidly and I couldn't pick out many words.
     We exited the elevator and Jungwon translated for me, "she was telling the baby, 'quick, practice your English, hurry.' And the baby said, 'aaaaaeeeei'. And the mommie praised the baby, 'good job'."
     I could probably fill a book with little stories of being interrupted by people looking for a quick English conversation for themselves or their children. Most of the time it is cute, and often it is funny (like the mommie in the elevator). Rarely is it annoying. Regardless it's the mommie in the elevator that made me think of "Descending Life Line (two)".

No comments: